Saturday, November 21, 2015

Running Streak - Days 19 and 20

Day 20

I fully intended to get out for my run early, but I was a slow moving vehicle this morning.  I should have followed my own advice.  I did, in fact, make it in time for 60 minutes of Power Yoga and got in the run mid-afternoon.  The temperature had warmed up from the morning and the conditions were cloudy with a slight wind.  I ended up a little overdressed because I overestimated how cold and strong the wind was, but it wasn't really a big deal.  I think the white stuff is coming tomorrow, but I bet it won't last.

Over the past couple of days, I started wondering if things may get a bit too routine at some point.  In an effort to keep things interesting, I ran with my phone so that I could check out a new app, Zombies, Run! (IOS, Android).  It is an is "an ultra-immersive running game and audio adventure" where you run through missions to collect things to strengthen your home base.  I left the "Zombie Chase" enabled, which turns the run into a Fartlek because you need to run away from pursuing zombies that will take the stuff you've collected.  It made the run hard at times, but a lot of fun.

Day 19

The weather was terrific today: a bright blue cloudless sky, a cool wind and around 5C (1C with the wind chill).  I ran in a long sleeve tech shirt, vest and shorts.  Because the wind was chilly, I went with a pair of compression calf sleeves from adidas.  I know that the science around the performance and recovery benefits of compression is sketchy at best, but I have found through completely unscientific methods (i.e. experience, and trial and error) that using compression on my lower legs seems to help with recovery.  I haven't really tried compression socks in races or training for the very scientific reason that running in long socks look dumb (to me, anyway).*  I sucked up my dignity today and it actually felt great.  I can't say that there was a measurable performance gain, but I definitely felt warmer.

The running itself went well.  I fully intended to circle through The Bridges again, but I went into auto-pilot and found myself on the pathways along the Ottawa River Parkway.  It's not a bad thing.  Once the white stuff arrives in earnest, the paths will be closed (i.e. roped off and not ploughed) until Spring.  I started tired, but finished energized.  I suppose that is an ideal outcome.

On a completely unrelated note, I sold my Garmin 405 today.  I need to reduce the electronics inventory and start using that was made in the last couple of years.  At some point in the near future, buttons will start to break and batteries will stop holding a charge.  I want to be proactive when my current devices still have some value.

* Cycling in long socks not only looks dumb, but is against The Rules, #27 to be precise.

No comments:

Post a Comment