Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Running Streak - Day 10

I'm in double digits and it's a good feeling.  I had the day off work today, but it still felt busy.  I was able to take in a 75 minute Moksha hot yoga class in the morning and then did a bunch of running around.  The class was packed (48 in a room that can optimistically 50 maximizing all space), and it was way hotter than usual.  All of the mirrors fogged up and the instructor turned off the heat half way through,which didn't help at all.  On top of that, the instructor really worked us hard.  It was a truly great workout.

I intended my run to came later in the day when I had a 45 minutes window where I could seize it opportunistically.  I actually ended up running at 9:30PM on the dreadmill.  I suppose that today was a "checkmark run" - just get it in to check off another day.  It was actually a great run.  I put some loud tunes on the playlist and kept increasing the speed of the treadmill.  I did 25 minutes, but definitely could have kept going if I didn't need to get to bed at some point.

I switched shoes to an old pair that I haven't worn in a while, K-Swiss Blade-Light Run.  For quite some time I have been using adidas Adizero Mana 5's for all of my runs, which are actually a racing flat and do not have much cushioning.  The K-Swiss' felt like I was running on pillows.  I'm not sure exactly why I switched away from them (they still have a lot of life left in them), but I suspect it was my desire to move to a more minimalist shoe.  Both the Blade-Light Runs and the Mana's have a 9mm heel drop.  The next shoes (New Balance Minimus, 2 different models) I want to use have a 4mm drop.  5mm may not sound like much, but it requires an adjustment period.  If you are considering making the change, make it gradual.  Your calves and Achilles tendons will thank you.

I should probably be using a variety of shoes, but I have a stockpile of 0mm shoes that I want to start using: Saucony Hatori's, Vibram Fivefingers, etc.  My frugal nature pushes me to use up the higher drop shoes before committing to the lower drop models.

No comments:

Post a Comment