Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Running Streak - Day 24

I started feeling a twinge in my right knee last night and I woke up with some soreness this morning.  It's not a good sign, but I'm hoping that I will be able to run through this.  It very well could be some adaptation.  I will be mindful of it over the next few days, and I'm musing if it is time to change the shoes.  There are only just over 300km on them, but they were designed as a racing flat and they are around 5 years old.  Perhaps the materials are breaking down.

In spite of the knee pain, today's run went very well.  It was a Garmin plan day (W02D4-Easy Run) so I was set to run 40 minutes in Zone 2.  I have been really enjoying running without my HRM chirping at me; therefore, today's run took a bit of getting used to.  It was colder than forecasted (actually -8C with the wind, rather than 1C) and I was a bit underdressed (Peak Performance jacket, long sleeve tech shirt, pants, Adizero Manas).  There was no risk of frostbite; it just took longer to get warmed up, which meant that I had no HR readings for the first 10 minutes or so.  I enjoyed the blissful silence from my 301XT, and the uninterrupted playing of Mission 3 of Zombies Run!  When the HRM finally kicked in I had just put in a burst of speed, as instructed, to escape a pursuing hoard of the undead.  Needless to say, I wasn't in Zone 2.  I settled down after a minute or so and made sure that I stuck to Zone 2 for the remainder of the run.  It felt painfully slow, but I know that it was good for me.

I was talking about the streak with a couple of work colleagues yesterday and when I said I was at 23 days, the number sounded pretty impressive to them (and to me).  Before this, my longest string of consecutive days was 11 (to the best of my recollection).  Also, I did a weigh-in this morning - the first since Day 2 - and I am down 4 pounds.  To be honest, I was surprised that the number had changed at all.  Not too shabby...

No comments:

Post a Comment