Monday, November 16, 2015

Running Streak - Days 13 and 14

Day 14

Today marks 14 days in a row, but it almost came to an end.  I cut it even closer, than yesterday.  I started running on the treadmill at around 11:10PM.  30 minutes was the difference between the streak continuing and me starting over tomorrow.  That being said, the box was checked and the streak goes on.

Instead of just running a steady state 20 minutes to check the box, I selected one of the pre-set workouts on the treadmill.  Generally speaking, I tend to avoid the treadmill, and when I used it in the past, I choose a comfortable pace and keep it steady for the duration of the run.  Using the set-it-and-forget-it workout provided a varied pace and elevation, which made for a better quality session fitness-wise and made the time pass quickly.  If/when I head back to the dreadmill, I will definitely choose one of these workouts.

I wore the Minimus WT20GG2's again, and again I noticed no side effects afterwards - tightness in the plantar fascia, Achilles tendon or calf muscles.  Maybe I can start using more of my minimalist shoes.  Vibram fivefingers, here I come.

Day 13

I really wanted to get the run in before I left for yoga.  I knew today that I would be doing 60 minutes of Power yoga in the Moksha Yoga hot room.  The run would have to come later.  Little did I know how much later it would be.  As I left, this is what greeted me.  To quote Jon Snow, "Winter is coming."


Yoga was awesome.  The instructor really pushed us, and I had that uniquely yoga feeling of being both spent and energized afterwards.  My day was full of varied busyness, and 10:00PM rolled around without me having got in a run.  I hit the treadmill for a 20 minute checkmark run.  Again the treadmill wasn't so bad.  I put my Kobo on the book stand and time raced by.

After a long time of sitting at the bottom of the closet, I tried out my New Balance Minimus WT20GG2's again.  My feet didn't agree with them the last time I used them, and I wanted to give them a second chance.  Today they felt fine.  For you astute readers out there, yes, they are indeed women's shoes.  They were on a clearance rack at Sport Chek and they looked to be my size.  I had no idea that they were women's shoes.  In any case, they fit great and have a 4mm heel drop (probably less).  I noticed no peculiar side effects after running in them so I will work them into my rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment