Monday, December 21, 2015

Running Streak - Days 49 and 50

Day 50

I had a 40 minute tempo run in the Garmin schedule, but I forgot my HR strap.  Given the conditions and the fact that the delay expired for the next mission in Zombies, Run!, I decided to do the 37 minute mission and take the run easy.  It was the right decision.  I can do the tempo run tomorrow.

Today was nasty with freezing rain.  The footing was bad - thin film of slush where there wasn't a deep frigid puddle or a thin film of ice - and my clothes were soaked through within 5 minutes of the start.  My shirt chafed me so bad that I had blood dripping from the abrasions.  (Note to self: Remember the BodyGlide tomorrow.)  I dropped the pace and focused on posture and a proper foot strike.  Despite the condition of my rapidly deteriorating shoes, I didn't slip once.  Mentally, running in horrible conditions is a great morale booster.  You feel so hardcore when you finish.

Day 49

The streak continues, but I need to become more diligent about the daily reporting.

I managed to squeak in a 6.5km run with the last remaining minutes of daylight.  It seemed colder than it has been over the last few weeks, but all I needed to do was shield myself from the wind.  I wore the MEC Dart pants and Peak Performance jacket over a long sleeve tech shirt.  I could have even taken off the hat and gloves about 2/3 of the way through, but I left them on.  Getting outside sure beats the treadmill.

I did the loop through Sarsfield, and sought to keep an even pace throughout.  Mission accomplished and I didn't use any gadgetery.  The TomTom threw a couple of HR spikes again despite using electrode gel and changing clothing.  I noticed that it is fine when running on the treadmill or in warm weather.  Maybe the cold temperatures or reduced humidity has something to do with it.  Not being able to get to the bottom of this is really frustrating me.  Reading the forums tells me that I'm not alone in this, but to me, it is still a small consolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment