Friday, December 4, 2015

Running Streak - Day 33

I did my first interval session of the streak today, and the experimental angle on today's run is that I programmed the Garmin training plan workout (10min warm-up; 5x2:00 Work, 1:00 Rest; cool down),  into my Tomtom Runner.  The process of setting up the workout was very intuitive.  It would have been nice to have the ability to assign target HR zones to the "Work" portions (Tomtom vocabulary), but then again, it felt really good to run hard by feel and how have the watch chirping at me.  I'm not sure if I can set up a bunch of interval workouts or if I will need to set  up one at workouts a time on or before the day I'm scheduled for it.

Dressing for running these days has been difficult.  I checked the forecast when I woke up and it said high of 5C by noon with a "feels like" of 0C.  I end up packing a bag full of clothes in the morning because I can't know exactly what I need until I head to the change room.  Today I wore a long sleeve tech shirt, nylon vest and shorts.  My legs were fine, but my torso was really cold for the first 10 to 12 minutes (teeth chattering cold).  Once I warmed up and turned around so that the wind was at my back, I was fine.  That's the difficult thing: I was underdressed when heading into the wind and just right for the second half.

It felt really good to get outside again.  This treadmill stuff has to be saved for only the worst days.  I was really surprised that I could get the pace below 5:00/km and run all five intervals at a very consistent pace.  When I was doing speed work in the Spring, my pace would decline with each interval.  I think the consistency in my running over the past month is starting to show.  I feel that I'm forming a good base.  I just need to dial in the sleep and nutrition.


No comments:

Post a Comment