Saturday, December 5, 2015

Running Streak - Day 34

I did things the way I wanted to and got out for the run before 8:00AM.  I hit the path close to the house and did a simple out-and-back for 25 minutes.  The weather was much like yesterday - 5C and cloudy - except that the wind was much milder.  I also wore the same get up as yesterday and didn't end up with chattering teeth until I was warmed up.

I noticed that I am running much more smoothly than I was when I started and I am able to set a decent pace and hold it for much longer.  If I look at similar runs from a month ago, I am now averaging a pace that is 30 seconds faster per kilometer.  The distance I am covering in similarly timed runs is also measurable longer.  The key thing is that, even though I am covering more ground at a faster pace, my average hear rate is the same or less.  Good indicators, all of them.

I brought my iPod to listen to some music for a change.  Normally, I listen to podcasts, which are great to help pass the time on long runs, but I was on a traffic-free path and the run was just steady state kilometers - no concentration required.  After listening to The Black Crowe's "She Talks to Angels", I queued up The Tragically Hip's Up To Here.  What a great album.  I normally don't listen to a full album from beginning to end, but when the next song started I couldn't bring myself to switch away. I got through tracks 1 to 6 by the time the run was over:


  1. Blow at High Dough
  2. I'll Believe In You (Or I'll Be Leaving You tonight)
  3. New Orleans Is Sinking
  4. 38 Years Old
  5. She Didn't Know
  6. Boots Or Hearts
After running, I did 60 minutes of Moksha yoga.  After having not been in a class for a couple of weeks, it was exactly what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment