Monday, January 18, 2016

Run Ottawa Run Streak - Day 18

It was cold today.  I knew it was going to be cold, and I dressed for it, and I didn't let the sun fool me.  And I was still cold.  The Weather Network said it was -13 (-23 with wind chill) and windy, gusts up to 39km/h.  I think it felt even colder than advertised.  I heeded the frostbite advisory from Ottawa Public Health and wore absolutely every piece of clothing that I had in my office, which happened to be only just enough.  It would have been a good idea to stay indoors, but I couldn't take another run on the treadmill.  I desperately needed fresh air.

I didn't set any land speed records because the footing was terrible again today.  I don't think the NCC is ploughing the pathways yet.  Much of the snow that fell over the weekend was still there.  The wind pushed me around a bit and delivered a lot of cold air from the north.  I can't imagine how cold it must have been for the guys who were flooding the Canal.  I had my phone with me to complete Mission 10 from Zombies, Run!, but I forgot to take a photo of me outside for the #ROR.

After sliding around on the Canal pathways all of last week, I decided to try a new pair of shoes: New Balance Minimus Ionix 3090v3.  These are not the latest models from New Balance - they were released in late 2013 or early 2014 - but they are new to me.  I have a rapidly dwindling stash of shoes in the basement that I bought from clearance racks and on end-of-season sales.  (I think this pair was on clearance at Winners.)  Needing better grip on the snow, I pulled these bad boys to see if they would do better than the ones I was using day in and day out.   I fully intended to bash the K-Swiss Blade Lights into nothing over the Winter, but they are not cutting when the footing gets sloppy.

After the first run and only 5.5km, I think they did OK.  Last week, I was sliding across the top of the snow, or at least it felt that way; today I felt like I was punching down through the snow and getting much better traction.  It wasn't reflected in my pace, but I felt like I was able to propel myself forward more so than fearing that I would land on my read end.  The uppers did a decent job of keeping my feet dry and the shoe is very light.  All good things.  I read a few reviews this morning and they mentioned that the uppers tear fairly easily and that the outsole wears down fast.  I doubt that I will see any of that (if I see it period) until Winter is over and the snow is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment